Are There Any Worthwhile Programs to Track Your Credit Reports For Free?
What does your credit history mean to you? If you are like most people, having good credit is something that you take pride in. Not only does good credit allow a person to receive lower interest rates, but it is a sign of just how responsible a person is with their finances. When a person fails to follow through on the appropriate monitoring of their credit, they will find themselves at risk of having their identity stolen.
Every year, people from all across the country have their identity stolen. The first line of defense for identity theft is having free credit monitoring in place. While there are numerous premium services offering this, there are also many that are free – without any hidden fees.
Let’s take a look at the best credit monitoring programs that will cost you nothing to join.
Perhaps the best free program on the market, Credit Karma is packed with features and comes at the unbeatable price of free. Users merely have to sign up to start their free credit monitoring without any strings attached. This program is not only free, but it rivals many of the paid options on the market.
- Monitoring: A user’s credit is monitored at all times to find any new data that is posted or discrepancies. This is done on a daily basis so that users never have to worry about credit errors or mishaps again.
- Notifications: When your credit has changed, notifications will be sent right to you. This can be a foreign transaction that was made, or it can be delinquencies that were posted. This is information that can put a halt to a credit score dropping because of inaccurate information.
- TransUnion Backed: The company is powered by TransUnion, one of the three credit bureaus. This means that information is updated quickly and accurately.
- No Credit Card: Free means free. There is never a credit card that needs to be entered to utilize this service – ever.
- Interface: The interface allows users to understand their credit at a glance. With beautiful graphs and a plethora of other features, it is easy to understand what your credit standing is at any given point in time.
Credit Karma is an amazing platform that is powered by TransUnion and offers features that no one else offers for free. The company even goes a step further by attempting to help you get out of debt. This means helping you with debt management recommendations and ways to optimize your score.
Credit Sesame is as close to Credit Karma as you can get. In fact, this is on par with Credit Karma and may be slightly more powerful. However, they are both free and worth the try. The features that Credit Sesame offers are unique, but the way they are presented is what really makes them stand out.
- Monitoring: The interface features a beautiful chart which shows you your credit over a period of time. There is also your credit score and the direction that it has gone since your last update. This makes it very easy to login and view all of your information quickly.
- Alerts: Whenever something changes, users are alerted immediately. This is done intuitively so that users are not bombarded with alerts when they simply made a payment. Instead, users are alerted only when major changes take place.
- Free: Just like Credit Karma, this program is entirely free so that users never have to enter a credit card or worry about unnecessary charges.
- Mobile Apps: There are mobile apps available that allow you to check your credit at all times. This means you can check your score while on the subway or receive notifications when you are not attached to your inbox.
- Experian Powered: The reports that are pulled are from Experian, one of the three credit bureaus. The company is also approved by Experian, which means that they are far more trustworthy than an unknown name.
Much like Credit Karma there is a personal financial analysis given. This includes ways to save money as well as tailored loan options so that you can find the best rates at all times. For anyone that is massively in debt, this may be one of the best perks the company has to offer. Since all of the advice is accurate and professional, users often save money when they choose to follow their personalized savings advice.
Free credit monitoring is a wise choice for every person. While both of these programs have their own strengths, it is often wise to sign up with both of them. While this may seem redundant, they both use two different bureaus to pull their information. This means that a user will have an extremely accurate assessment as to what their true credit history is at this specific moment.
Since there is some delay with all 3 credit bureaus updating at the same time, having more options is always best.
Best Overall Identity Theft Service
- Real Time Credit Monitoring
- Secure Online Delivery Of All Updates
Why do I need to check my Credit Score?
- A good credit score is your passport to competitive interest rates for mortgages, cars, credit card offers, job offers, insurance premiums and more.
- A strong score is worth money because it saves you in excess costs